MedShadow is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization that does not accept advertising or support from pharmaceutical companies or medical device manufacturers. We accept advertising at our discretion that fits with our mission and follows the guidelines set below.
The guidelines in this policy govern issues like acceptance of Advertisements by MedShadow Foundation, how Advertisements are displayed on the MedShadow website, and the removal of Advertisements from the MedShadow Website.
MedShadow Foundation has sole and absolute discretion with respect to interpretation and enforcement of this policy and all other issues associated with Advertising on the MedShadow Network. MedShadow Foundation may change this policy at any time in its sole discretion by posting a revised policy to the applicable MedShadow Foundation Property.
These policies and guidelines apply to all advertisers, direct or 3rd party (“Advertisers”). Advertisements may, when specifically permitted by MedShadow Foundation, include third-party banners, badges, contextual advertising and content created or provided by an Advertiser (collectively referred to as “Advertisements” or “Advertising”). In addition, as used in this policy, the terms “Advertising” and “Advertisements” include third party banners, modules, links, microsites, native advertisements and other content provided by or on behalf of Advertisers. The Advertiser is responsible for the accuracy and objectivity of its Advertising. The following guidelines have been established by the MedShadow Foundation to govern various aspects of Advertising on properties within the MedShadow Website.
For any and all advertising that runs on MedShadow Foundation media:
- MedShadow reserves the right to decline any type of advertising that is damaging to the brand of MedShadow or is inappropriate to the content held on the MedShadow network.
- Under no circumstances will MedShadow’s acceptance of any Advertisement be considered an endorsement of the product(s) and/or service(s) advertised or for the company that advertises, manufactures, distributes, or promotes the products or services.
- MedShadow Foundation doesn’t receive funding from the pharmaceutical or medical device industries. As such, we don’t allow the following types of advertising:
- Branded or unbranded ads from pharmaceutical manufacturers
- Ads from medical device manufacturers
- Prescription drugs for humans or pets
- Online pharmacy ads
- Branded or unbranded ads for OTC drugs for humans or pets
- Branded or unbranded ads for supplements that make claims that are not supported by independent evidence. (MedShadow Foundation reserves the right to determine what is independent evidence)
- In addition to those ads listed in (3.), there are certain categories of Advertisements that MedShadow Foundation will not knowingly permit on the MedShadow Website at any time. These categories include but are not limited to the following:
- Illegal, ‘objectionable’, ‘ineffective’ and/or ‘dangerous’ products (MedShadow Foundation reserves the right to determine what is ‘objectionable’, ‘ineffective’ and/or ‘dangerous’)
- fraudulent, deceptive, illicit, misleading or offensive material
alcohol (except for education advertising)
- tobacco or nicotine use of any kind or paraphernalia like pipes, pipe cleaners or rolling papers, vaping units (except for education advertising)
- weapons, firearms, ammunition, or fireworks
- pornography or related themes
- the simulation of news or an emergency
- material that misrepresents, ridicules, discriminates (real or implied) or attacks an individual or group on the basis of age, national origin, race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or any other status deemed inappropriate for the MedShadow Website
- material that directly advertises products to or is intended to attract children under the age of 13
- media or messages for or that reference M-rated video games or content without specific review and permission from MedShadow Foundation.
- unreasonable, unlikely or extraordinary product or service claims including unsubstantiated
- “miracle” weight loss or other exaggerated claims of cure
- media messages or imagery that strobe or flash
- advertising units that mimic computer functions or deceptively indicate a computer or other function that would be reasonable to the average user to assume as a reason to click the unit
- MedShadow Foundation reserves the right to decide at any time in its sole discretion whether it will accept, reject, cancel, or remove Advertising from its website.
- MedShadow Foundation cannot provide any assurances that Advertisements will perform without error on all platforms, including websites and mobile applications.
- MedShadow Foundation recognizes and maintains a distinct separation between Advertising and MedShadow’s editorial content. All Advertising on the MedShadow Website will be clearly and unambiguously identified. MedShadow Foundation will not allow any Advertising on the MedShadow Website that is not identified with the label of “Advertisement”, “From Our Advertiser”, “Information From Industry” or a similar designation indicating that the Advertising is being provided by or on behalf of an Advertiser.
- A click on an Advertisement may only link the end user to the Advertiser’s site or to relevant sponsored content area on a MedShadow Property.
- MedShadow Foundation retains the exclusive right to determine how any and all search results for specific information by keyword or topic are displayed on a MedShadow Property based on MedShadow Foundation delivered search results.
- It is the Advertiser’s responsibility to comply with all domestic and foreign laws and regulations applicable to its Advertising within MedShadow Foundation properties. MedShadow will not monitor compliance with such laws and regulations. However, MedShadow Foundation reserves the right to review all Advertising for compliance with applicable laws and regulations and, if MedShadow Foundation becomes aware of any breach or potential breach of any applicable law or regulation or of these guidelines, MedShadow Foundation may remove the Advertising from the MedShadow Foundation Network.
- No advertising on the MedShadow Foundation Network shall include any pixels, tags, flash containers or any other type of information collection software code (any such pixel, tag, code or device a “Pixel”) or shall place any beacons, cookies or other information collection devices on the browsers of users of the MedShadow Foundation Network unless expressly approved in writing by MedShadow Foundation.